United States Congress
106th Congress – S. 1485
Bill Summary & Status
Sponsor: Sen Nickles, Don (introduced 8/4/1999)
Related Bills: H.R.2883
Latest Major Action: 10/29/1999 Referred to House subcommittee
Title: A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to confer United States citizenship automatically and retroactively on certain foreign-born children adopted by citizens of the United States.
- SHORT TITLE(S) AS INTRODUCED:
Adopted Orphans Citizenship Act
- OFFICIAL TITLE AS INTRODUCED:
A bill to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to confer United States citizenship automatically and retroactively on certain foreign-born children adopted by citizens of the United States.
STATUS: (color indicates Senate actions) (Floor Actions/Congressional Record Page References)
- Read twice and referred to the Committee on Judiciary.
- Committee on Judiciary. Ordered to be reported without amendment favorably.
- Committee on Judiciary. Reported to Senate by Senator Hatch without amendment. Without written report.
- Placed on Senate Legislative Calendar under General Orders. Calendar No. 337.
- Passed Senate without amendment by Unanimous Consent.
- 10/27/1999 10:04am:
- Received in the House.
- Message on Senate action sent to the House.
- Referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.
- Referred to the Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims.
|Subcommittee on Immigration and Claims||Referral|
|Senate Judiciary||Referral, Reporting|
|H.R.2883||Identical bill identified by CRS|
COSPONSORS(24), ALPHABETICAL [followed by Cosponsors withdrawn]: (Sort: by date)
|Sen Abraham, Spencer – 10/8/1999||Sen Ashcroft, John – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Bond, Christopher S. – 8/4/1999||Sen Brownback, Sam – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Chafee, John H. – 8/4/1999||Sen Cochran, Thad – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Craig, Larry E. – 8/4/1999||Sen DeWine, Michael – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Durbin, Richard J. – 10/7/1999||Sen Edwards, John – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Grams, Rod – 10/21/1999||Sen Grassley, Charles E. – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Hollings, Ernest F. – 8/4/1999||Sen Inhofe, James M. – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Johnson, Tim – 10/21/1999||Sen Kennedy, Edward M. – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Kerry, John F. – 7/10/2000||Sen Landrieu, Mary L. – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Levin, Carl – 8/4/1999||Sen Lott, Trent – 8/4/1999|
|Sen Rockefeller IV, John D. – 8/4/1999||Sen Sarbanes, Paul S. – 10/7/1999|
|Sen Smith, Gordon – 8/4/1999||Sen Torricelli, Robert G. – 9/9/1999|
Adopted Orphans Citizenship Act – Amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to provide for the acquisition of U.S. citizenship (as of the date of birth) by certain foreign-born children adopted by a U.S. citizen parent or parents.